The Term Player Character here is used to mean the Family members that are controllable in your dynasty.
At the start of the game you have to create your initial Character. This individual is the Patriarch/Matriarch and overall founder of your Dynasty, what you choose for this person decides in general how you will play the game from this point on.
Character Creation consists of two screens On the First Screen you get to chose the following:
- First name – This Speaks for itself. It is the given Name of your Character.
- Surname/Family Name – This is more important to choose as you will be stuck with it for the whole game. This is the name of your dynasty.
- Gender – Male or Female there is little difference between the two sexes in game terms, with the one exception that female characters will be unable to work or perform any actions whilst pregnant.
- Religion – Catholic or Protestant this is only really an issue if you become a Scholar. As this determines which church you can preach in. For everyone else the only real effect is that you will have slightly better relations with those of the same Religion.
- Star Sign – you can pick 1 of the 12 astrological sign of the Zodiac each has some flavour text and will provide you with a free talent increase.
- Aries - +1 Constitution
- Taurus - +1 Rhetoric
- Gemini - +1 Dexterity
- Cancer - +1 Empathy
- Leo - +1 Martial Arts
- Virgo - +1 Arcane Knowledge
- Libra - +1 Charisma
- Scorpio - +1 Stealth
- Sagittarius - +1 Arcane Knowledge
- Capricorn - +1 Handicrafts
- Aquarius - +1 Bargaining
- Pisces - +1 Empathy
- Talents – These are what ultimately make your character more or less unique form others in the game. These determine how well you will perform certain actions during the game. Each initially has a value of one and at the start of the game you can spend up to 500 EXP increasing the values up to a maximum value of 10. Any EXP not used at this point is not wasted and is available during the game.
- Arcane Knowledge
- Martial Arts